CALL FOR A RESEARCH ASSISTANT IN TRANSLATIONAL VENOMICS
IMDEA Food Institute (Madrid Institute for Advanced Studies in Food) adheres to the European Charter for Researchers and Code of Conduct for the Recruitment of Researcher.
The IMDEA Food Institute is a research institution created by the Madrid Regional Government in coordination with universities, research centers of Madrid, and enterprises. Constituted as a non-profit organization within the framework of the IV Regional Plan for Scientific Research and Technological Innovation (IV PRICIT), it is conceived - structurally and legally - with the aim of bringing research into society.
IMDEA Food Institute is committed to excellence in research and to foster technology transfer to the industrial sector in a truly international environment. More information about the research and scope of the activities of IMDEA Food Institute can be found at the institute webpage http://www.food.imdea.org
This position is funded by the Comunidad de Madrid through the 2020 Call for the Youth guarantee (Ref. PEJ-2020-AI/BIO-17904).
The work activity of the Research Assistant will be integrated in the research project: “The Anti-aging properties of venom-derived compounds”-
Main functions to carry out:
- Screening of an Animal Venom-Biobank in senescent, cancer and non-transformed cell lines.
- Molecular and metabolic profiling of the compound-candidates.
- Assays for determining cell proliferation, apoptosis, mitochondrial membrane potential, reactive oxygen species and cell cycle by flow cytometry.
- Protein and RNA extractions to perform afterwards western blotting and real time PCR to reveal the effect of our candidate compounds at a protein and transcriptional level in cells.
- Biochemical analysis of tissue and tumour samples obtained in vivo from xenograft tumor and mouse models of senescence and cancer treated with venom-derived compounds.
Education requirements: BSc or MSc in Biology and Life Sciences-related fields
Experience requirements: Highly motivated Research Assistant with demonstrated expertise in cell, biotechnology and molecular biology. Specifically, the candidate should have experience in:
- Cell culture & husbandry
- High throughput screening
- Purification of DNA & RNA extractions
- Transfection of DNA/RNA vectors
- Western blotting
- Quantitative Real Time PCR
Other merits to evaluate: Expertise in the generation of xenograft tumors & in experimental mouse models of cancer, use of FACS or cell metabolism assays would be appreciated.
Skills: The Translational Venomics Lab has an international profile with interactions with overseas research groups in Europe, America and Australia. Hence, the successful candidate should have an excellent level of English and be able to work in a multidisciplinary collaborative and interactive environment within the IMDEAFood institute and another research centres
Candidates will be selected based on the profile described in Requirements by a Selection Committee composed by scientist staff of IMDEA Food Institute. Ad-hoc experts could be participating in the process.
The best-qualified applicants will go to the second selection phase consisting of a personal interview by the Selection Committee.
The personal interview will consist of conducting a face-to-face or videoconference interview that will deal only with the merits claimed by the candidates in the competition phase and will be aimed at assessing the candidate's suitability for the position. The interview will have a maximum duration of 45 minutes.
Contract: Temporary full-time training* contract with trial period established by law.
*Requirements: Degree obtained in the last 5 years. Not having had a training employment contract previously
Duration: This position is from 01/10/2021, max. untill 24/04/2023.
Dedication: Full time (37,5 hours per week) with morning and afternoon shift from Monday to Friday. Incompatible with any other employment contract.
Annual gross salary: 18.563 euro
The financial contribution of the Comunidad de Madrid, including Social Security, is 22.500 € per year.
IMDEA Food Institute Headquarter, Madrid (SPAIN)
- Employment History Report (Social Security)
- ID card or passport
- Official Academic Titles
- Certificate from the National Youth Guarantee System
- Other documents